Saturday, May 10, 2008

:: Obesity

Obesity is Not Contagious
Posted Mon, Mar 24, 2008, 12:47 pm PDT
100% of users found this article helpful.

My thoughts on the New England Journal of Medicine study regarding obesity being contagious: Ugh!!! Sure, sometimes as people, we follow the crowds or trends. Most of us are communal by nature. But when I heard all of the media hype about the study on obesity and its correlation to our friendships, I absolutely had to put my two cents in! Friends don't cause us to gain weight or become unhealthy -- it's our habits and genetics combined that may lead to unhealthy outcomes.
Sure, I've taken part in the Friday night cheesecake run with the girls. Who hasn't? But I've learned enough about my body to know how to eat in moderation. Of course, that wasn't always the case for me. As you know, I've run the range of sizes -- everything from 4 to 44. But when I needed to get healthy, my friends and family were my absolute biggest supporters. We shared our healthy habits and began working out together. Sometimes we even ordered egg whites together!
I can tell you one thing for certain: Pressure doesn't create change. Making someone feel bad doesn't create change. Guilt doesn't create change. Judgment doesn't create change. This type of negativity only creates hurt and resentment. Nothing good or permanent can come from negative energy. It's important to remember that while people may have the best intentions, they might not realize that their good intentions are actually having a negative effect. Instead of being resentful towards these people, look within yourself for acceptance and others will begin to accept you exactly as you are, with no judgment. So let's take a step toward self-love together. Repeat after me: "I will never ask anyone if my butt looks big in these jeans again!" I know many women who are by all traditional standards "skinny," but who still struggle with not feeling good enough. If you feel badly about yourself, begin to truly nourish your body. People who nurture themselves feel better and have much higher self-esteem. When you're with friends, your positive attitude and energy will spread, and they'll want to nurture themselves, too.
The most important thing is to really love yourself, feel complete and perfect as you are today, and take care of yourself so you can be there for everyone you love in your life. Self-care is not selfish; it's selfless! If you feel good, it helps everyone around you feel good. And that makes for a happy home, a happy workplace, and a happy life!